Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Chris Farley/ David Spade and DirecTV controversy

Tonight I was reviewing the updates on my igoogle home page and came across some controversy regarding the new DirecTV ad featuring a piece of one of my favorite movies, "Tommy Boy".  It seems some are offended that DirecTV is using a clip from the movie that includes one of my favorite comedians, Chris Farley.  Those of you who are fans know that Chris Farley died in 1997 (?) due to cardiac arrest from a drug overdose.  For us fans, it was a great loss.  And for non-fans, also a loss because they didn't get to live through his comedy, but at least you can all watch his movies and SNL reruns.  HILARIOUS. 
Remember "I am El Nino.  All other tropical storms can bow before 'El Nino'.  'El Nino' is Spanish for....'The Nino'"? 
How about Matt Foley, the Motivational Speaker who lived in a van down by the river and lived on a steady diet of government cheese? 
When I saw the DirecTV clip, it just made me smile and remember all of the great characters Chris Farley played in his day.
Anyway, here is the clip of the new commercial.  Judge for yourself. 

 http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/TV/10/27/farley.directtv.commercial/index.html?eref=igoogle_cnn

I would embed the video but I'm not sure how to do that yet!!!

No comments: